Wednesday, February 27, 2013

"At fifteen, I set my mind upon learning..."

"At fifteen, I set my mind upon learning. At thirty, I took my stand. At forty, I had no doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of Heaven. At sixty, my ear was attuned. At seventy, I follow all the desires of my heart without breaking any rule."

With this quote, Confucius answers the age-old question of what will bring me happiness in life? According to him, a life devoted to knowledge and learning brings the greatest satisfaction. He also makes the point that learning is a lifelong process to which one must be devoted. The reward for such faithfulness, other than knowledge itself, is that one will be able to follow their heart's desires without worrying about any moral implications as a result of the learning process creating an innate goodness in people.

No comments:

Post a Comment